Original Article

IJMDC. 2021; 5(5): 1183-1187

Prevalence of obsessive-compulsive disorder symptoms among medical students

Authors: Amer Mohammed Almutairi, Khalid Mohammed Aladhadh, Saud Abdulaziz Alsayed, Faisal Fahad Alhuwairini, Anas Mohammad Alzuwayed, Sajida Agha.

ABSTRACT

Background: Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is an anxiety impairment that is viewed as a chronic illness in which people experience uncontrollable and recurrent feelings and repeated compulsive behaviors that result in the relief of nervous symptoms in these patients. This study aimed to assess the prevalence of the probability of OCD among medical students. Methodology: This cross-sectional survey was conducted by using the Obsessive-Compulsive Inventory-Revised scale. Around 283 medical students participated in this study by filling up the questionnaire. Results: Among the 283 participants, 183 (64.7%) scored less than 21, and 100 (35.3%) scored more than 21, which indicates that they may have a probability of OCD. Of the 283 students, 46 (16.3%) sought psychological support for stress related symptoms. The students who sought psychological support had a 50% probability of developing obsessive-compulsive disorder according to the results. Concerning the 27 participants who experienced OCD symptoms in the family, seven (25.9%) had a lower probability of OCD and 20 (74.1%) had a higher probability of OCD. Conclusion: This study shows that the prevalence of OCD among medical students is not low. It also shows that those with a family history of the condition and those who sought psychological support for stress-related symptoms had significantly higher chances of developing the condition.

Keywords:
Obsessive-compulsive disorder, medical students, psychiatry disorders, anxiety disorders.


';
Prevalence of obsessive-compulsive disorder symptoms among medical students


Authors
Amer Mohammed Almutairi
Medical Student, College of Medicine, King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
PubMed articlesGoogle scholar articles

Khalid Mohammed Aladhadh
Medical Student, College of Medicine, King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
PubMed articlesGoogle scholar articles

Saud Abdulaziz Alsayed
Medical Student, College of Medicine, King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
PubMed articlesGoogle scholar articles

Faisal Fahad Alhuwairini
Medical Student, College of Medicine, King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
PubMed articlesGoogle scholar articles

Anas Mohammad Alzuwayed
Medical Student, College of Medicine, King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
PubMed articlesGoogle scholar articles

Sajida Agha
Associate Professor, College of Medicine, King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
PubMed articlesGoogle scholar articles


Correspondence to:
. Amer Mohammed Almutairi, College of Medicine, King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences, Riyadh. Saudi Arabia.; ameralmutairi@hotmail.com

Publication history
Received 28 Mar 2021
Accepted 11 Apr 2021
Published online 19 Apr 2021
Published in print 06 Jun 2021

How to cite this article?

Export to EndNote Export to refMan

Pubmed Style

Almutairi AM, Aladhadh KM, Alsayed SA, Alhuwairini FF, Alzuwayed AM, Agha S. Prevalence of obsessive-compulsive disorder symptoms among medical students. IJMDC. 2021; 5(5): 1183-1187. doi:10.24911/IJMDC.51-1616952490


Web Style

Almutairi AM, Aladhadh KM, Alsayed SA, Alhuwairini FF, Alzuwayed AM, Agha S. Prevalence of obsessive-compulsive disorder symptoms among medical students. https://www.ijmdc.com/?mno=68517 [Access: July 25, 2021]. doi:10.24911/IJMDC.51-1616952490


AMA (American Medical Association) Style

Almutairi AM, Aladhadh KM, Alsayed SA, Alhuwairini FF, Alzuwayed AM, Agha S. Prevalence of obsessive-compulsive disorder symptoms among medical students. IJMDC. 2021; 5(5): 1183-1187. doi:10.24911/IJMDC.51-1616952490


Vancouver/ICMJE Style

Almutairi AM, Aladhadh KM, Alsayed SA, Alhuwairini FF, Alzuwayed AM, Agha S. Prevalence of obsessive-compulsive disorder symptoms among medical students. IJMDC. (2021), [cited July 25, 2021]; 5(5): 1183-1187. doi:10.24911/IJMDC.51-1616952490


Harvard Style

Almutairi, A. M., Aladhadh, . K. M., Alsayed, . S. A., Alhuwairini, . F. F., Alzuwayed, . A. M. & Agha, . S. (2021) Prevalence of obsessive-compulsive disorder symptoms among medical students. IJMDC, 5 (5), 1183-1187. doi:10.24911/IJMDC.51-1616952490


Turabian Style

Almutairi, Amer Mohammed, Khalid Mohammed Aladhadh, Saud Abdulaziz Alsayed, Faisal Fahad Alhuwairini, Anas Mohammad Alzuwayed, and Sajida Agha. 2021. Prevalence of obsessive-compulsive disorder symptoms among medical students. International Journal of Medicine in Developing Countries, 5 (5), 1183-1187. doi:10.24911/IJMDC.51-1616952490


Chicago Style

Almutairi, Amer Mohammed, Khalid Mohammed Aladhadh, Saud Abdulaziz Alsayed, Faisal Fahad Alhuwairini, Anas Mohammad Alzuwayed, and Sajida Agha. "Prevalence of obsessive-compulsive disorder symptoms among medical students." International Journal of Medicine in Developing Countries 5 (2021), 1183-1187. doi:10.24911/IJMDC.51-1616952490


MLA (The Modern Language Association) Style

Almutairi, Amer Mohammed, Khalid Mohammed Aladhadh, Saud Abdulaziz Alsayed, Faisal Fahad Alhuwairini, Anas Mohammad Alzuwayed, and Sajida Agha. "Prevalence of obsessive-compulsive disorder symptoms among medical students." International Journal of Medicine in Developing Countries 5.5 (2021), 1183-1187. Print. doi:10.24911/IJMDC.51-1616952490


APA (American Psychological Association) Style

Almutairi, A. M., Aladhadh, . K. M., Alsayed, . S. A., Alhuwairini, . F. F., Alzuwayed, . A. M. & Agha, . S. (2021) Prevalence of obsessive-compulsive disorder symptoms among medical students. International Journal of Medicine in Developing Countries, 5 (5), 1183-1187. doi:10.24911/IJMDC.51-1616952490


Share this article

Click the icon of the social media platform on which you would like to share this article.

Article Statistics

Request permissions

If you wish to reuse any part or all of this article please contact the copyright holder, contact@ijmdc.com.

Copyright ©2021 Discover STM Publishing. All Rights Reserved.